The most beautiful moments always seemed to accelerate and slip beyond one's grasp just when you want to hold on to them as long as possible.
E.A. Bucchianeri
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, " and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. "
J.R.R. Tolkien
The beginning of a new year always triggers a time of reflection for me. I think about memories shared, experiences created, bonds strengthened, and hope renewed. I have to work to NOT think about "wasted days," things I "should" have done, plans not fulfilled, and failed goals. The concept of TIME rears up again. I regret how often I say, " I just need more hours in the day." Yes, I realize that phrase is used to counter the guilt I feel for not accomplishing all that I hope on any given day....but there is some truth to it. I do not need more hours, but I do need restructured hours. Where do I allow my time to go? Is it to my family? Is it to friends with whom I have committed a deep, mutual friendship? Is it to connecting with God by reading His word? Or is it to Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest on easily distractible topics that keep me from fully focusing? I know the answer. I don't like it, but I know it.
I set aside the month of January to limit my time on social media. We use the Circle with Disney app to limit/control our kids' internet access. It is my favorite app! I can also set time limits on myself, but I seem to always create an excuse for me....such as the need to follow the inauguration and the Women/s March....on Facebook. I was nauseated by the vile and hatred from both sides posted on FB, but I kept looking. I had the urge to keep searching until I found what I was looking for even though I had no idea what I wanted! I felt lost, out of control, uneasy. But, I was drawn in.
Thankfully, God intervened. I found Florie's notes from her time in the orphanage. We had them translated while we were in China. I have read them several times before, but not recently. She is almost 8 now, and I can see patterns in her personality from back then to now. It made me happy and it broke my heart. I just wanted to hold her and protect her from the lost feelings. I went to bed that night unable to sleep.....and the next morning, I awakened early for a run. I had to go early, and it was raining. I set out in the dark, in the rain, maybe feeling a little sorry for myself. THEN, it happened. The sky cleared, and the sun rise began. The hues of purple, pink and orange overwhelmed me. The beauty was tangible....I rounded a cul-de-sac, and behind me, was a full rainbow. My spirits lifted as I could feel God's presence....he is here. He is LOVE. He is RESPECT. He is DIGNITY. He is HOPE. And as quickly as the sunrise and rainbow appeared, they were gone....the rain returned, but my outlook had changed.
And the reflection began....here is a glimpse of what is important to me from the past year. 2015 was SO hard with losing my mom. The grief was overwhelming at times. 2016 was better. The pain of losing a loved one never leaves, it just fades and then knocks you in the face on occasion. I know Mom would have loved seeing all of these pictures, and that makes me smile.
Backyard bonding in January
Florie and William taking over the ski slopes in Colorado
Simple days of homeschool
Family time painting our own cups
Appendectomies are never fun but this is one tough dude
Watching sunsets that take your breath away
Boys' ski trip in spring
Headed to prom
Experiencing Harry Potter at Universal
Easter and our living cross at church
Ben became a Duke TIP scholar
We lost our minds and gave Jack guinea pigs for his 11th birthday
Sanity restored in our pjs in the backyard
But this guy is really cute
Izzy continually teaching us how to love unconditionally, rest appropriately, and spend time together
WHAT? 16???
Our 5th year of homeschool began
Florie's night to cook
We took over the trampoline zone for an afternoon of fun
2nd attempt to Boston qualify...not going well. Even my falling off hat was a give away, and I dropped out of the race at 18 miles....
Beach time to refocus our priorities....I love October at the beach!
Poor puppy post surgery
A quiet, but deeply grateful Thanksgiving
3rd time to try was a charm! Boston 2018!
CHRISTmas traditions
I enjoyed time with Dad
as did the kids
Remembering how far this little one has come. This spring will be 6 years home.
Yesterday is gone.
Tomorrow has not yet come.
We have only today.
Let us begin.
Mother Teresa
My prayer is that we all take a pause and see how we spend our time. We need warm hearts and hands to reach out to one another in love. Let us begin.
Love,
Eve
No comments:
Post a Comment